St Peter & St Paul Church of England Primary Academy
A school was established in Carbrooke in 1836 by landowner Richard Dewing, at first it was held in what is now ‘The Old Bakery’, the home of the first mistress, Mrs Martha Young. In 1846 a new specialised school building was built and became a church school for all local children. When the government introduced the educational reform act, in 1870 all children were required to attend school by law.
To begin with, there was just one school room. Shortly after, a smaller room was added for infants with small kitchen. It wasn’t until 1974, that another addition, the office (now staff room) was built.
The children of the time created a pictorial record.
For 140 years the school educated the children of Carbrooke, with the pupils looking back on their Carbrooke School days with affection. The building also being used for village activities.
As the 20th century drew to a close,the school faced almost certain closure. Around 1986, there was a register of just 40, but as the ex-RAF houses were sold during 1980’s and 1990’s on Ash Tree Park, Beech Tree Park, and Maid Marian Way, and later with the building of Blenheim Way, young families were able to remain in, and move into the area.
How lucky the school was saved, as 40 years later, and three major building extensions it is bursting at the seams.
‘Carbrooke Oak’ sung by pupils of Carbrooke School c2003. A song written by the teachers, for the children, to commemorate the 160th Anniversary of the school in 1996
Pupil celebrating the 140th anniversary of the school in 1986.
Celebrating 160th anniversary in 1996, with a Victorian Day.
Carbrooke School may have been one of the first in Norfolk to take advantage of the school meals service, thanks to Headmistress Miss Mary Norton during WW2. This picture (Courtesy N Laws) shows Carbrooke pupils enjoying school dinners c1974
Throughout the years school headteachers have had to keep a school diary, and Carbrooke school is no exception. During the second world war, the Headmistress, kept a fascinating record of daily life and events in Carbrooke. Daily life went on as usual, admidst the highly unusual events bought on by war, particularly the kind involvement of locally based American troops. The Heritage Group have transcribed, and printed Carbrooke school log, adding background photos and information.
During Family History internet research, a former Carbrooke resident, discovered a reference to his father in a Library in Norfolk, Virginia USA. After further contact, he discovered that his father along with other Carbrooke children had written to an American girl during the war, and the letters had subsequently been donated to the Library. As a result of our FaceBook Page, Jan Godfrey also a pupil at Carbrooke schoolduring the war, heard the story, remembers the letters and American servicemen visiting the school.
1841 Martha Young, first headmistress of the school. Ran a ‘dame school’ at The Bakehouse, her home, before taking up the post of Headmistress when the school was established.
1851 Charlotte Quinton (teaching at The ‘National School’), born c1803 in Norwich and lodging with James and Elizabeth Chapman of Carbrooke
The Carbrooke school wall hanging was designed as a community project in 1996 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of St Peter and Paul School.
David spent a number of his childhood years in Carbrooke living with, and visiting his Grandparents during 1960’s. Fascinating resume of school life, people and places.
Carbrooke Village magazine, originally began in 1969 as a school magazine called the ‘The Ha’Penny News’, then became ‘Penny News’, in later years ‘The New Penny News’ – ‘All the Village News and Views’. which sadly ceased as a printed magazine in 2018, but has been incorporated into Carbrooke Online Magazine ‘Carbrooke Online’.
Blenheim Trophy is awarded at the end of each school year, to a pupil who has worked hard and made a positive contribution to the local community.
Page last Updated 12.11.2023