Carbrooke Non Conformists

By the late 1700’s many people were disillusioned with the official Church of England, they perhaps resented the wealth of the church, or felt alienated by the services which they may have felt complicated and  irrelevant to them.

Various forms of Methodism started around this time, which appealed particularly to industrial as well as agricultural communities.The buildings and services were simpler, and had to be provided by private means, with the congregations taking much more of a part in the services.

‘The Primitive Methodist church was an early 19th century (1807) secession from the Wesleyan Methodist church and was particularly successful in evangelising agricultural and industrial communities at open meetings. In 1932 the Primitive Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain’Independent Chapel Carbrookehistory

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Carbrooke Independent Chapel, (Behind pub sign) on Broadmoor Road c1906. Picture Courtesy of www.norfolkpubs.co.uk

An Independent Chapel was founded in 1833 on Broadmoor Road (to the left of Muriel Close). In use in 1854 according to Whites History  and Gazeteer of Norfolk, and 1883 according to Kellys Directory. The building was still standing in 1906, but was demolished by early 1980’s to make way for housing.

A Primitive Methodist Chapel was founded in 1860 at ‘1 and 2’ Chapel Cottages Broadmoor Road. Ten years later a plot of land was purchased on Mill Lane, and a new Chapel built:

From a Carbrooke School Project 2000 – (and copied from an official source).

“Not long ago in this circuit a chapel was sold (bought?) for a sum of money not much in excess of £100, it was therefore very interesting to peruse the deeds of Carbrooke Chapel built 100 years ago and still standing, to find that a dedicated body of people called Methodists saw fit to spend £100 in order to buy a piece of land on the road leading from Carbrooke to Griston.

To go back a little further in time as far as can be ascertained, Methodists first known place of Worship in the village was along Broadmoor Road at what is now 1 and 2 Chapel Cottages.  A stone set in the west wall bears the inscription PMC 1860 the use of this building lasted for ten years, when it was decided to purchase a plot of land from Henry Thimblethorpe lately a contractor, the indenture was signed on the 2 February 1870 between the above Henry Thimblethorpe and Samuel Skipper, Thomas Wyer , James Balls, James Minns, Henry Buck, John Graves and Willam Graves”

At first Carbrooke was part of the Attleborough circuit, but later joined the Watton Circuit.

The Chapel was built with a Sunday School room, but as the 20th century drew on the congregation dwindled until the Chapel was forced to close in 1988, the last service being held on 11th September 1988 as part of The Carbrooke Festival, the service began in the Methodist Church, and finished in the Parish Church. For more than twenty years the remaining Methodists were able to continue their services in the Parish Church, until the two congregations completely integrated, and separate services became unnecessary. The Chapel is now a private house.

Carbrooke Village, Wayland, Norfolk has a long and interesting history. If you have any comments, information, anecdotes or photographs, you would like to share, please contact me.

This is an ongoing project and it would be lovely to add more information.

history@carbrookehistory.co.uk